- Dry spices (makes 1 quantity)
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon dried red chilli flakes (depending on heat preference)
- 1 teaspoon sugar 3-4 tablespoons water
- Spice paste
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 large brown onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, diced
- 1 tablespoon ginger, grated
- 1 quantity of dry spice (see above)
- 2 tablespoons Peppadew Mild Mango Atchar with Piquanté Peppers
- 2 tablespoons Peppadew Hot Mango Atchar with Piquanté Peppers
- Flesh of 1 medium-sized mango (about 1 1/4 cup), fresh or frozen
- To make the dry spice, toast the cumin, coriander and fennel in a pan on medium heat until fragrant. Add the garam masala, turmeric and chilli flakes, giving it a quick stir through before setting aside to cool.
- For the paste, heat 1 tablespoon oil in a pan and sauté the onion until softened. Add the garlic and ginger and cook for a further 2 minutes. Add the dry spices, both Peppadew Mango
- Add the dry spices, both Peppadew Mango Atchars with Piquanté Peppers and the fresh mango pieces to the onions. Add the sugar and water and simmer for several minutes. Transfer the paste to a blender and blitz until smooth. Heat the remaining oil in a
- Transfer the paste to a blender and blitz until smooth. Heat the remaining oil in a
- Heat the remaining oil in a heavy-based oven-proof saucepan. Season the lamb with salt and pepper. Brown the meat in batches, remove from the pan and set aside. Sauté the
- Sauté the diced onion in the remaining pan oils. Add the lamb back to the pan and combine with the caramelised onions.
- Add the whole quantity curry paste and the remaining ingredients, except the chutney. Cover with a lid and cook in a 180º C preheated oven for about 3 hours until the meat is tender and the sauce thickened.
- Adjust seasoning if necessary and stir through the chutney. Serve with carrot and cashew nut salad, steamed rice, naan bread and cucumber raita.
Intern Digital editor at woman&home magazine. … Experienced digital editor with a demonstrated history of working in the media production industry.