- 2tbsp vegetable oil
- 25g unsalted butter
- 750g neck of lamb, diced
- 3tbsp plain flour, seasoned
- 2 onions, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
- 3 carrots, peeled and sliced into rounds
- 1tbsp ground coriander
- 1tbsp ground cumin
- 1tsp ground ginger
- 1tsp paprika
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 600ml red wine
- 100g prunes, pitted
- 100g dried apricots
- Heat the vegetable oil and butter in a frying pan. Dust the diced lamb with flour and fry a few pieces at a time until well browned, then transfer to a large saucepan.
- When all the meat has been browned, add the onions, garlic and carrots to the pan and cook over a medium heat for 5 minutes. Add all the spices and continue to cook for a couple of minutes.
- Add the cooked vegetables and spices to the lamb, pour over the wine and add 150ml water. Add the prunes and apricots, and give everything a good stir. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Cover the pan with a lid and cook over a gentle heat for 11/2 to 13/4 hours, or until the lamb is tender.