- 1 Tbsp turmeric powder
- ½ tsp chili powder
- ¼ tsp cinnamon powder
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 500g cubed chicken breast
- ½ cup oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 300 g prawns, shelled and deveined
- 1 large onion, finely sliced
- 1 tsp ginger paste
- 1 teaspoon garlic paste
- 2 tomatoes, pureed or chopped
- 1 tin coconut cream
- ½ cup curry leaves, finely sliced
- 1 handful fresh coriander chopped
- Mix together all powdered spices, add lemon juice to form a paste.
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper and fry until golden brown.
- Remove from the pan and keep aside. Add the prawns and fry until semi cooked. Remove and place with the chicken.
- Add the onion and fry until translucent.
- Then add the curry paste and sauté until fragrant, mix in the tomatoes and cook for a further 6 minutes on medium heat.
- Blend in the curry leaves and cook well, adding some water if required until the consistency of a thick curry sauce is achieved.
- Then mix in the chicken and the prawns, cover and allow to simmer until the chicken is tender. Now pour in the coconut cream and allow to cook for a further 5 mins, season with salt and pepper.
- Add the coriander just before serving. Especially good with rotis.
Recipes and photographs from Durban Curry So Much of Flavour People, Places and Secret Recipes By Erica Platter and Clinton Friedman (Paw Paw Publishers)