- 3-4 green chillies
- 1 Tbsp mustard seeds
- 4-5 Tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 large or 1 ½ small onions, chopped
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 1 Tbsp each fresh grated ginger and garlic
- 3 Tbsp mixed or fish masala
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 6 medium-sized ripe tomatoes (grated)
- 2 Tbsp warm water
- Salt if needed
- 500g prawns, shelled and deveined
- Fresh dhania leaves
- Slice green chillies. Discard seeds and ribs if you prefer a milder curry.
- Sauté mustard seeds over medium heat in oil until they begin to pop.
- Add onions, continue cooking. Add curry leaves and sliced green chillies.
- Stir in ginger and garlic. Add masala, turmeric, grated tomatoes. Braise until mixture is fragrant, and a rich colour. Add warm water. Stir. Check for seasoning.
- Place prawns on surface of mixture. Lower heat, cover, simmer for 5-7mins or until prawns are pink and have curled.
- Garnish with fresh dhania leaves. Serve with rice, papadums and sambals.
Recipes and photographs from Durban Curry So Much of Flavour People, Places and Secret Recipes By Erica Platter and Clinton Friedman (Paw Paw Publishers)
Animal lover, digital creative, realistically optimistic and more passionate about my place in the world than ever before.