- 2,5kg whole leg of lamb, shank still on
- 125ml olive oil
- 2tbsp lemon zest
- 2tbsp crushed garlic
- handful each of rosemary and thyme,
- with little extra to garnish
- sea-salt flakes like Maldon or Cerebos
- For the mint sauce
- 3 cups mint, leaves picked
- 2tbsp red-wine vinegar
- 1tbsp brown sugar
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 125ml juices from the lamb roasting tin
- 500 to 600ml beef or chicken stock
- 3tbsp port
- 3tbsp redcurrant jelly
- 1 to 2tsp cornflour
- Use a sharp knife to score the lamb all over, ½cm apart and 3mm deep. For the marinade, combine the olive oil, lemon zest and crushed garlic in a small bowl.
- Place the lamb in a roasting pan and rub the marinade all over. Leave to marinate for 2 to 3 hours.
- Stuff the cuts in the lamb with thyme and rosemary. Season all over with salt flakes.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C, 180°C fan. Place the lamb in the oven and roast for 2 hours. Remove from the oven, cover with foil, and allow to rest.
- To make the mint sauce, combine the mint, vinegar and brown sugar, and blend until smooth with a hand-held blender or food processor. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Garnish the lamb with fresh herbs, and serve with the mint sauce.
- Pour lamb cooking juices into a pan with the stock, port, jelly and cornflour mixed with some water. Bring to boil, whisking all the time to prevent lumps. Season to taste.
Digital Editor at woman&home magazine, F1 Fan, Chocoholic.