This ‘half and half’ cottage pie with root veg mash recipe from our 2+1 Diet is so delicious, you won’t miss having less meat! It’s perfect if you’re following a plant-based diet.
- 1tbsp oil
- 320g mince
- 1 onion
- 1 carrot
- 1 celery stick
- 200g tomato passata
- 500ml beef stock
- 1 1/2tbsp tomato puree
- 1tsp Worcestershire suace
- 1/2tsp chilli powder
- 175g puy lentils
- 1-1.2kg mixed root vegetables (sweet potatoes, carrots, parsnips, swede and butternut squash, but only use 1 potato)
- 1 1/2 tbsp breadcrumbs
- Heat the oil in a heavy-based sauté pan, brown the mince then set aside. Peel and finely chop the onion, carrot and celery, add to the pan and cook for 5 minutes or until softened and lightly browned. Return the mince to the pan, add the passata, beef stock, tomato puree, Worcestershire sauce and chilli powder, mix well. Bring to the boil then leave to simmer for 20 minutes before adding the lentils, rinsed in cold water. Bring back to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring the root vegetables to the boil in a pan of cold, salted water until tender. Drain and allow to steam-dry slightly before mashing.
- Mash the veg until very smooth, season well and set aside. Heat the oven to 180°C. Remove the pie filling to an ovenproof dish and cover evenly with the mash. Drizzle over a little olive oil, sprinkle with the breadcrumbs and cook for 30 minutes.
woman&home has a brand new attitude and offers irresistible inspiration each and every month to our audience. The brand believes that it’s attitude, not age, that matters and we speak to women in a conversational, empowering, inspirational, fun and friendly tone.