- ¼tbsp olive oil, plus extra for the steak
- 1 garlic clove, finely sliced
- 200g cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1tsp castor sugar
- small handful basil, leaves roughly torn
- 1tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 rump steaks, trimmed of fat
- Heat a frying pan. Add the olive oil and garlic and fry gently to soften. Add the tomatoes, castor sugar and half the basil, season and fry for 5 minutes, until the tomatoes have softened down and begun to disintegrate.
- Heat a griddle pan. Oil the steaks on both sides and season well. Fry for 2 to 4 minutes on each side - this will give you medium rare. Transfer to a plate and allow to rest for 5 minutes. While the steak is resting, reheat the sauce and just before serving, stir through the balsamic vinegar, the rest of the basil and any juices that have come out of the steaks. Serve the steaks with the sauce on the side, a green salad and roasted potatoes in olive oil, if you like.