- 250g caster sugar
- 250g butter, softened
- 5 free-range eggs
- 125g gluten-free plain flour
- 65g cornflour
- 75g ground almonds
- 1 heaped tsp gluten-free baking powder
- a few drops vanilla extract
- For The Filling:
- 4tbsp apricot and raspberry jam
- 100g icing sugar
- To Decorate:
- A few primulas
You will need 2 x 20cm sponge tins, oiled and lined with baking parchment.
- Heat the oven to 180C, 160C fan, gas 4. Measure all the cake ingredients in to a large mixing bowl and beat well together with a wooden spoon until smooth.
- Divide the mixture equally between the two tins and bake for 20 to 25 mins until golden and firm to touch.
- Leave to cool in the tin for 15 mins before turning out onto a cooling rack.
- Sandwich the cakes with the jam.
- To make the icing, mix the icing sugar with a teaspoon of water to give a very thick pouring consistency and drizzle over the cake. Decorate with the flowers just before serving. The cake will keep for 2 to 3 days in a cake tin.
Top tip: You can use this mixture to make fairy cakes too. Just divide between cupcake cases and bake for 15 to 18 mins, then top with the icing.