This gingerbread men recipe is great for making a whole gingerbread biscuit family, which is perfect as an edible Christmas gift. You can also make a batch to share.
- 600g plain flour
- ½tsp salt
- ½tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tbsp ground ginger
- ½tsp ground cinnamon
- ½tsp ground nutmeg
- 200g unsalted butter, softened
- 200g soft light brown sugar
- 150g golden syrup
- 1 egg, plus 2 egg yolks
- 250g icing sugar
- 1 egg white
- ½tsp lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 170C,150C fan, gas 3. Sift the flour, salt, bicarbonate of soda and spices into a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl using an electric whisk beat the butter, sugar and golden syrup until pale and creamy. Add the egg and yolks gradually beating well after each addition.
- Add the flour mixture and mix until it all comes together. Divide into 2, wrap with cling film and chill in the fridge for 30 mins or overnight.
- Remove from the fridge and allow to soften slightly. Roll out to the thickness of a R5 coin and using gingerbread men cutters cut out families of biscuits. Re roll cookie dough remains together to use all of the dough.
- Place on lined baking trays and bake in batches for 10-15 minutes until golden. Leave to cool slightly on the trays before transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Make the icing buy placing the egg white in a bowl and adding the icing sugar gradually to build up a paste. Add the lemon juice and stir well. Spoon into an icing into an icing bag with a fine nozzle and pipe on faces, buttons and clothes.
Top Tip for making Gingerbread Men: By making the dough the day before and leaving it in the fridge overnight you give the flavours a chance to mature, resulting in an even more tasty biscuit!