- 75g butter, softened
- 350g sliced fruit bread (try hot cross buns)
- 150g apricot jam
- 3 whole apricots, halved, de-stoned and the halves cut into 4
- 200ml each milk and double cream
- 3tbsp sugar
- 1 heaped tsp vanilla bean paste
- 2 large free-range eggs, plus 1 yolk
- handful blanched hazelnuts, roughly chopped
- Heat the oven to 170 C, gas 3. Butter the bread; spread the jam on top. Cut into triangles and layer up in a 26cm ovenproof gratin dish. Arrange the apricots evenly around the bread slices.
- Whisk with a fork to combine the milk, cream, sugar, vanilla and eggs. Pour all over the bread slices, scatter over the hazelnuts and bake for 30 to 40 minutes, until the bread is crisp and the custard has set with a slight wobble. Leave to stand for 5 minutes before serving.
Top Tip: This recipe works very well with nectarines and peaches, which you can then scatter with toasted almonds.