French Custard Flan With Chocolate CherriesPrint This
- For the Pastry:
- 150g cake flour
- 1ml salt
- 20g caster sugar
- 75g unsalted butter, diced
- 50ml cold water
- For the Filling:
- 750ml milk
- 125ml water
- 4 large eggs
- 370g caster sugar
- 1ml vanilla powder
- 60g cornflour
- 15ml fine apricot jam
- For the Chocolate Cherries:
- 100g 70% dark chocolate
- 100g white chocolate
- 360g fresh cherries
To make the Pastry:
- Place the flour, salt, sugar and butter in a food processor. Blitz until the butter and flour are well blended. Add water and blitz until the mixture forms a dough.
- Remove and cover with cling film. Leave the pastry to rest for 30 minutes in the fridge.
- Roll out very thinly on a floured surface. Line a Le Creuset Heart-Shaped Fluted Flan Dish with the pastry.
To make the Filling:
- Place the oven rack in the centre of the oven and pre-heat to 180°C.
- Mix the milk and water together in a casserole and bring to the boil. Beat together the eggs, sugar, vanilla and cornflour until light. Add the warm milk mixture and mix well.
- Return the mixture to the casserole. Cook, stirring continuously until custard is thick. Remove from the heat and set aside to cool.
- Pour the custard into the lined flan dish and bake for 1 hour. Remove and leave to cool. Place in the fridge overnight to set. Brush a layer of melted apricot jam on top of the tart.
To make the Chocolate Cherries:
- Break both chocolates in pieces and place in separate heatproof bowls over casseroles of simmering water. Do not let the bowls touch the water. Stir until melted.
- Dip half the cherries in dark chocolate and the other half in white chocolate. Place on a tray lined with baking paper and leave to set.
- Decorate the flan with the cherries.