- 6 candy striped beetroots, scrubbed
- 6 black figs, sliced
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 125g blue cheese, coarsely crumbed
- 2 handfuls watercress
- Balsamic dressing
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 125ml olive oil
- 45ml balsamic vinegar
- 10ml brown sugar
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Cook the beetroot in boiling water for 10 minutes, or until just tender. Remove from the water with a slotted spoon, and leave to cool down. Peel the skin and cut into thin 1,5mm slices.
- Arrange the salad by placing the watercress, beetroot, fig and onion slices in layers on a platter. Crumble over the blue cheese.
- For the dressing, combine all the ingredients in a small bowl – it will make enough for 170ml.
- Drizzle some of the dressing over the salad just before serving.
Intern Digital editor at woman&home magazine. … Experienced digital editor with a demonstrated history of working in the media production industry.