These easy hot cross buns are simpler than you think to make and beat shop bought buns any day of the week!
ALSO TRY: Chocolate Hot Cross Buns Recipe
- 250ml full-fat milk, warm to the touch, not hot
- 1 egg
- 7g sachet Yeast
- 500g strong white bread flour, pus extra for dusting
- 50g caster sugar
- 1/2tsp salt
- 2tbsp mixed spice
- 100g Italian mixed peel
- 200g sultanas
- 1 lemon zest
- 1 orange zest
- 100g unsalted butter, softened
- For The Cross:
- 60g plain flour
- 1tsp vegetable oil
- For The Glaze:
- 2tbsp apricot jam
- 1/2tsp mixed spice
- You will need a piping bag and a floured oven tray.
- Whisk together the milk, egg and yeast. Tip the flour, sugar, salt, mixed spice with the mixed peel and sultanas into the bowl of a mixer, mix using a dough hook while adding the liquid. Once combined add the butter a little at a time and continue to knead with a dough hook until the dough has an elastic consistency.
- Tip the dough out onto a floured surface and cut the dough into 10 pieces, mould each into a ball using the palm of your hand in a circular motion, push down firmly and the dough will spring back. Arrange the balls in the oven tray leaving a 2cm gap between each one. Leave in a warm place covered with a clean damp tea towel to proof for 1 hr 30 mins – 2 hrs, until they have almost doubled in size. Heat oven 250C, Gas 9.
- To make the crosses: mix the flour, oil with 5tbsp water, put into a piping bag and pipe crosses over the buns.
- Put the buns in the oven and bake for 20 mins until golden on top.
- For the glaze: Heat the cinnamon and jam with 1tsp of water in a small pan, mix to combine and brush over the warm buns.
Top Tip for making Easy hot cross buns: Leftover buns are delicious the next day lightly toasted, or used them up in a hot cross bun style bread and butter pudding.