- 350g unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 350g caster sugar
- 6 large free-range eggs, beaten
- 400g self-raising flour, sifted
- 100g ground almonds
- juice and grated zest 2 oranges
- For The Chocolate Fudge Filling:
- 250g plain dark chocolate
- 100g butter
- juice 1 orange
- 3 free-range egg yolks
- 250g icing sugar
- For The Topping:
- 300ml double cream
- 3tbsp caster sugar
- 200g dark chocolate, finely chopped
- chocolate eggs, to decorate
You will need 2 x 23cm round cake tins, lightly oiled and bottom-lined with baking parchment.
- Heat the oven to 170 C, gas 3. Cream the butter and sugar together, until pale; mix in the eggs, then fold in the flour, almonds, orange zest and juice.
- Spoon the mixture into the cake tins and bake for 45 minutes, until risen and firm. Remove from tins and cool on a wire rack.
- Meanwhile, make the fudge filling. Melt the chocolate and butter, and mix with the orange juice. Cool for 5 minutes, then whisk in the egg yolks and icing sugar in batches.
- For the topping, heat the cream and sugar in a pan until steaming. Pour over the chopped chocolate in a bowl, and stir to combine. Cool for 10 to 15 minutes.
- When the cakes are cool, cut both in half horizontally. Spread one cake layer with a third of the filling, top with another layer of cake and spread with a second third of the mixture. Add a third layer, spread with the rest of the filling, and top with the final layer.
- When the topping is cool, apply it to the cake with a palette knife. Pile the chocolate eggs in the middle and serve. The cake will keep for up to 3 days in the fridge.