- 350g plain flour, plus extra for rolling
- 1tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 2tsp ground ginger
- 1tsp ground cinnamon
- 125g butter
- 175g light soft brown sugar
- 1 large free-range egg
- 4tbsp golden syrup
- For The Icing:
- 4 free-range egg whites
- 900g icing sugar
- a few drops of food colouring (just a tiny amount to make pastel colours)
You will need: rabbit-shaped cookie cutters; disposable piping bags and fine-tip piping nozzles.
- Mix together the dry ingredients and put into a food processor. Add the butter, whizz together then add the remaining ingredients and pulse until it comes together. Wrap in clingfilm and chill for 20 mins. Roll out and cut out the shapes. Heat the oven to 180C. Put the biscuits onto lined baking trays and bake for 12-15 mins until light brown. Cool then put onto a wire rack.
- To make the icing, whisk the egg whites and sugar together until smooth. Separate the mixture into 3 bowls and colour each one separately.
- To decorate, fill 3 piping bags fitted with nozzles, with half of the mixture from each bowl. Outline the edges of each cookie with icing, doing a third in each colour. Add a little water to the remaining mixtures. Fill 3 more piping bags and fill the centres with the corresponding colour of icing. Leave to set. Once hard, pipe on faces with the lining icing.