Easter means spicy hot cross buns are going to be available for us to enjoy again. So, what happens when you combine fresh hot cross buns with chocolate eggs? A creamy and warming bun and butter pudding. (Vegan options available, too!)
What you’ll need:
- B-well Canola Baking Spray
- 6 hot cross buns
- 100g butter, spread on the hot cross buns
- 2 cups cream / coconut cream
- 1 cup milk / plant-based mylk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 medium free-range eggs / 5 tbsp cornflour
- 160g caster sugar
- 1 orange, zest of whole orange
- ¼ cup apricot jam or handful of chopped dried apricots
- 3 tbsp cognac/liquor/rum, optional
- Handful of choc chips or mini easter eggs
How to make:
- Preheat the oven to 180°C and spray some B-well Canola Baking Spray to grease a 20 cm x 20 cm oven dish.
- Cut each hot cross bun in half and lightly butter both sides. Omit the butter if you’re vegan.
- In a medium saucepan, add the cream, milk and vanilla extract, and cook over low heat until the mixture is just starting to simmer.
- In the meantime, whisk the eggs and caster sugar in a bowl until pale, then whisk in the milk and cream mixture. Vegan version: Whisk the cornflour and sugar into the cream and milk mixture until well combined, simmer gently for 6 minutes whisking continuously to allow no lumps. Remove from the heat.
- Dip each hot cross bun half into the custard mixture and place in the greased oven dish, then sprinkle the orange zest and apricot pieces, or spoon out small bits of apricot jam and drop around. Drizzle the optional cognac/run over the top.
- Pour the rest of the custard mixture carefully over the hot cross buns and allow to stand for 30 minutes. Sprinkle the choc chips/ mini easter eggs all around.
- Place the pudding into the hot oven to cook for about 35 – 40 minutes, until golden on top and slightly set.
- Remove and serve with a dust of icing sugar and some vanilla ice cream / cream, or perhaps some fresh berries on the side! Enjoy the indulgence.
Find more B-well recipes here.