Chicken nuggets for grown-ups, though you’ll have to make more if the kids are around!
- 100g flour, seasoned with salt and pepper
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 50g sesame seeds
- 100g fresh breadcrumbs
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut into strips
- Oil, for frying
- 5tbsp sweet chilli sauce
- 1 bag baby salad leaves
- 1 bulb fennel, thinly sliced
- For The Dressing:
- 3tbsp groundnut or sunflower oil
- 2tbsp rice vinegar
- Preheat the oven to 200 C, gas 6. Start by preparing three bowls: one of the well seasoned flour, the next with 2 beaten eggs and last with the sesame seeds and breadcrumbs mixed together. Now dip the chicken strips first into the flour, then the egg, then the crumb mixture. Put them onto a tray or large plate in the fridge until you are ready to cook them.
- To cook, heat some groundnut or sunflower oil in a large sauté or frying pan, about 1cm deep. Fry the chicken in batches, removing them to a baking sheet once browned. Put into the oven in a small roasting tin to cook through for 5 minutes. While the chicken is still warm, stir in the sweet chilli sauce. Transfer to a platter.
- For the dressing, whisk the oil and rice vinegar together with seasoning and toss through the salad leaves and fennel.