- 250g cake flour
- 50g icing sugar
- 150g cold unsalted butter, finely chopped
- 1,25ml (¼ tsp) salt
- 60ml (¼ cup) ice water
- 100g macadamia/hazelnuts
- 30ml (2 tbsp) honey
- 60ml (¼ cup) demerara sugar
- 15ml (1 tbsp) cake flour, sifted
- 8 – 10 medium Zespri SunGold Kiwifruits, peeled and sliced
- 1 egg, beaten
- 15ml (1 tbsp) fresh cream
- fresh mint, to garnish
- crème fraîche, to serve
1. For the pastry, place the 250g cake flour, the icing sugar, butter and salt in a food processor and blitz until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Add the ice water and blend until it comes together. Remove from processor. Shape the pastry into a disc, wrap with cling film and refrigerate, 1 hour.
2. Preheat the oven to 180°C.
3. For the filling, place the nuts on a baking tray lined with baking paper and drizzle with honey. Bake until golden, turning once after 10 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool before processing until ground.
4. Roll out the pastry to a width of 30cm and place on a baking tray lined with baking paper.
5. Combine the demerara sugar, the 15ml (1 tbsp) cake flour and the ground honey-roasted nuts. Spoon two thirds of the nut mixture on the pastry, leaving 4cm clear around the edges. Place the Zespri SunGold Kiwifruit slices on top. Fold up the empty area of pastry, creating bowl-like edges.
6. Combine the egg and cream and brush over the pastry. Sprinkle the remaining nut mixture over the SunGold kiwifruit slices. Bake until the pastry is golden and the SunGold kiwifruit has caramelised, about 45 minutes. Serve with fresh mint and a side of crème fraîche.