- 1 large chicken, around 2,5kg, jointed
- Olive oil
- Juice of 2 lemons
- Large garlic bulb, cloves separated, unpeeled
- Bunch thyme (some reserved to serve)
- 200ml white wine
- Lemon wedges and zest, to serve
- Heat the oven to 200°C, 180°C fan. Put the chicken pieces in a large bowl and toss in a little oil and the lemon juice, and lots of salt and pepper. Put into a big roasting tin – you don’t want to crowd it or it won’t crisp up all over.
- Tuck under the garlic and thyme. Pour the wine around it.
- Roast for 1 hour – check halfway through, as you may need to move the pieces around. Serve on a platter, season again and add lemon wedges, zest, a little more olive oil, and fresh thyme leaves.