ALSO TRY: Spicy Baked Chicken Recipe
- 1 large free-range chicken, around 2.5kg, jointed
- Olive oil
- Juice of 2 lemons
- Large garlic bulb, cloves separated, unpeeled
- 200ml white wine
- Lemon wedges, to serve
- Bunch fresh thyme
- New potatoes
- Heat the oven to 200C, gas 6. Put the chicken pieces in a large bowl and toss in a little oil and the lemon juice and lots of salt and pepper. Put into a big roasting tin – you don’t want to crowd it or it won’t crisp up all over. Tuck under the garlic and thyme. Pour the wine around it.
- Roast for 1 hour – check halfway through as you may need to move the pieces around. Serve on a platter, season again and add lemon wedges, zest, a little more olive oil and fresh thyme leaves.
- For the roasted crushed new potatoes, steam them until just tender, lightly crush with a fork then put in a roasting tin and add a good slug of olive oil and some sea salt. Toss well, roast for 40 minutes with the chicken and serve with deep-fried sage leaves – fry in a shallow pan with hot oil for a few seconds.