Our creamy potato bake is a South African favourite. You’ll find people tucking into this rich and comforting dish at every good braai.
ALSO SEE: Crispy Roast Potatoes Recipe
- 750g potatoes, unpeeled and finely sliced (use a mandolin if you have one)
- 1 red onion, sliced into rounds using a mandolin
- For The Sauce:
- 600ml milk
- 1 onion, halved
- 3 bay leaves
- Handful black peppercorns
- 50g butter
- 50g plain flour
- You Will Need:
- A gratin dish, buttered
- Start by making the sauce. Gently heat the milk in a pan with the onion, bay and peppercorns. Set aside, covered, to infuse for 1 hour. Strain.
- Melt the butter in a pan, stir in the flour and cook for a few mins on a low heat. Slowly whisk in the milk until smooth and thickened.
- Heat the oven to 220°C. Tightly arrange a layer of potatoes on the base of the gratin dish, top with a layer of sauce, then top with red onion and season well.
- Repeat the layering process, finishing with a final layer of potatoes topped with sauce.
- Cover with foil and bake for 30 mins, then reduce the heat to 180°C. Remove the foil, and bake for another 45 mins until golden brown.
This article originated on www.womanandhome.com
Top Tip: You can cook this the day before and reheat in the microwave or covered in a low oven until heated through.