- 450g small to medium courgettes
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 heaped tbsp plain flour
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3 spring onions, trimmed and finely sliced
- 1 lemon, zest finely grated
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp thyme, mint or chives or finely chopped
- 1 tbsp Parmesan cheese, finely grated
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Coarsely grate the courgettes and place in a colander with the salt. Place the colander over a bowl and leave to drain for about an hour. This step is important to remove the excess moisture from the courgettes so they are not watery.
- After an hour place the courgettes in the center of a clean towel and wring out as much excess water as possible, the courgettes should be quite dry. Sift the flour into a bowl and whisk in the egg until smooth. Add the courgettes, remaining ingredients and mix well.
- Heat a large frying pan with a couple of tablespoons of oil. When the oil is hot take a heaped tablespoon of the mixture and drop it into the pan, flattening it out slightly with the back of the spoon. Leave to cook for a couple of minutes until the fritter is brown on the bottom then flip over and cook for another couple of minutes. Place the fritters on a plate lined with kitchen paper to drain off any excess oil then serve.