Courgette soup is something different to add to your list of winter warmers. The combination of courgette and basil lends this soup a vibrant colour which is equally full of flavour and vitamins.
ALSO SEE: Storecupboard Lentil Soup Recipe
- 50g butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 225 potato, approx 1 large, peeled and chopped
- 1.5 litres chicken or vegetable stock
- 900g courgettes, chopped
- 2 tbsp basil, freshly chopped
- For the Parmesan croutons:
- 75g sourdough or ciabatta bread cut into small cubes
- 1 ½ tbsp olive oil
- 1½ tbsp Parmesan, finely grated
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan, add the onion and potato and cook for 10 minutes without colouring the vegetables. Add the stock, bring to the boil and cook for 10 minutes until the potato is soft. Add the courgettes, season with salt and pepper and cook for a further 5 minutes until the courgettes are just soft. Cool the soup slightly, add the basil, then liquidise in batches until smooth.
- To make the parmesan croutons, heat the oven to 190°C, 170°C fan. Place the bread in a bowl, pour over the oil and toss well so that all the bread gets well coated. Add the parmesan, stir well then spread the croutons out onto a baking sheet in a single layer and cook for 10 minutes or until crisp and brown.
- To serve, reheat the soup, adjust the seasoning and serve in warm bowls with the croutons sprinkled on top.
Top Tip for making Courgette and Basil Soup with Parmesan Croutons: This soup is equally delicious made with fresh mint. Try using small courgettes for the best flavour. You can replace the Parmesan croutons with a few cooked, peeled prawns if desired.
woman&home has a brand new attitude and offers irresistible inspiration each and every month to our audience. The brand believes that it’s attitude, not age, that matters and we speak to women in a conversational, empowering, inspirational, fun and friendly tone.