Who doesn’t enjoy a Classic Lasagne dish? And if you’re not in the mood for mince, no problem! Replace the mince with shredded chicken, roast veg, lentil ragout, canned tuna, or cooked butternut and feta.
* 250g bacon, chopped
* 2 onions, peeled and chopped
* 2 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
* 1 red and 1 yellow pepper, seeded and chopped
* 1 kg beef mince
* 2 carrots, grated
* 2 Å~ 410g tin chopped tomatoes
* 1 cup red wine
* 1 cup beef stock
* 1 sprig rosemary
* 2 tbsp origanum
Dry-fry bacon until golden. Remove and set aside. In the bacon fat, fry onions until soft. Add garlic and peppers, and fry for 5 minutes. Remove and set aside. Heat a little oil and brown mince. When all extra liquid has cooked out, add bacon, onion
and peppers. Add the remaining ingredients. Leave to simmer on low heat for 2 hours. Season with salt and pepper.
* 1 onion
* 4 cloves
* 1L milk
* 2 bay leaves
* 80g butter
* 1/3 cup flour
* Pinch of nutmeg
Stud onion with cloves. Place milk, onion and bay leaves in a pot and bring to the boil. Switch off the heat and let the milk sit for 15 minutes. Strain. In a separate pot, cook butter and flour for 3–5 minutes. Add milk slowly, whisking constantly. Simmer for 5 minutes. Season with nutmeg, salt and pepper.
1. 12–16 lasagne sheets
2. Soak the lasagne in boiling water for 10 minutes.
The final step:
1. 2 cups grated cheddar
2. Preheat oven to 180˚C.
3. Layer ingredients in a 20 °ø 20 cm dish: one fifth bechamel, 3–4 lasagne sheets, a quarter mince.
4. Repeat 3 times – end on a layer of bechamel.
5. Sprinkle with the cheese.
6. Bake for 40 minutes.
Serves 8 – 10
ALSO SEE PORT-SMOKED FILLET RECIPE
[Image by Alleksana via Pexels]