If you love chilli, you’ve got to try this chilli casserole recipe. It’s got the usual chilli flavours but uses chunks of beef rather than mince that become tender and delicious. Serve it with a healthy dollop of guacamole and sour cream.
- 2 dried chillies (sweet and smoky)
- 1 dried chipotle chilli (or a good pinch of flaked chipotle)
- 500ml beef stock
- 2-3tbsp sunflower oil
- 1.5kg beef stewing steak, cut into large chunks
- 2 red onions, peeled and chopped
- 3 sticks celery, chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1-2 red chillies, sliced
- 2tsp ground cumin
- 2tsp smoked paprika
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 2 x 400g cans chopped tomatoes
- 1tbsp tomato purée
- 2 x 400g cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- A little brown sugar
- Soak the dried chillies in a large jug with the hot beef stock and set aside.
- Heat the oven to 140C, gas 1. Heat a little oil in a large saucepan. Brown the beef in batches and set aside. Add the onions and celery and cook until softened. Remove the hydrated chillies from the stock and slice, increase the heat and add these along with the garlic, fresh chillies, spices and beef.
- Pour over the stock, tomatoes and purée. Cover and cook for 3 hours.
- Add the beans for the final 30 minutes of cooking, along with brown sugar and seasoning to taste. You can freeze it at this point.
- Serve with fluffy rice, soured cream and guacamole.
woman&home has a brand new attitude and offers irresistible inspiration each and every month to our audience. The brand believes that it’s attitude, not age, that matters and we speak to women in a conversational, empowering, inspirational, fun and friendly tone.