This easy to make chocolate cake recipe is so moist and moreish – all your guests will be asking for seconds.
ALSO SEE: Our Ultimate Chocolate Cake Recipes
- For The Cake:
- 75g cocoa powder
- 200ml boiling water
- 3/4tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 4 eggs
- 375g dark muscovado sugar
- 175ml sunflower oil
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- 275g self-raising flour
- For The Decoration:
- 2tbsp cocoa powder
- 50g butter
- 2tbsp golden syrup
- 300g unrefined icing sugar
- Chocolate stars (optional)
- Edible gold star glitter (optional)
- You Will Need:
- 23cm x 30cmx 5cm deep baking tin or roasting tin greased and lined
For the cake
- Heat the oven to 180C, gas 4.
- Mix the cocoa with the boiling water. Stir in the bicarbonate of soda and set aside to cool.
- Whisk the eggs, sugar, oil and vanilla in a mixing bowl until blended. Stir in the flour and the cocoa mixture until smooth.
- Pour into the tin and bake for 30-40 minutes until risen and firm to the touch. Cool in the tin for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack to cool.
For the icing
- Melt the butter and golden syrup together with 1 tbsp water,. Beat in the icing sugar, to make a smooth icing. Add a little extra boiling water if needed. Spread over the cool cake.
- Scatter with the white chocolate chips, sprinkles and silver balls and leave to set.