Chocolate Orange CakePrint This
- 50g cocoa powder, sifted
- 1½tsp vanilla extract
- Zest 1 orange, plus zest strips to decorate
- 75g ground almonds
- 50g gluten-free plain flour
- ¾tsp bicarbonate of soda
- Pinch of salt
- 3 large eggs
- 150g castor sugar
- 150ml sunflower oil
- Icing sugar, to dust
- You will also need a 22cm springform tin, oiled and the base lined with baking paper
- Heat the oven to 170°C, 150°C fan. In a medium bowl, whisk the cocoa powder, vanilla extract and orange zest with 100ml warm water to make a smooth paste, then set aside. In a small bowl, mix the ground almonds, flour, bicarbonate of soda and salt until well combined, then set aside.
- Beat the eggs and sugar until pale and creamy, then gently fold in the flour and almond mixture until almost combined.
- In the bowl with the cocoa mixture, gently mix the oil with a dollop of the egg mixture until well combined. Carefully fold this into the remaining egg mixture, pour into the prepared cake tin and bake for 30 minutes.
- When cool enough to handle, run a knife around the inside of the tin to loosen, remove the cake and set it aside to cool on a wire rack. Decorate with orange zest strips and icing sugar. Serve with warm créme fraîche or eat warm with ice cream.
DISCLAIMER: Before starting any diet, you should speak to your doctor. You must not rely on the information on this website/newsletter as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or other professional healthcare provider.