Bakers of any level can easily make this chocolate, coffee and vanilla layer cake! It’s special and indulgent and a real showstopper – perfect for Christmas.
- 225g butter, softened
- 225g caster sugar
- 225g plain flour
- 3tsp baking powder
- 4 large eggs, beaten
- 1tbsp coffee extract
- 2tsp vanilla bean paste
- 200g dulce de leche (or caramel)
- Chocolate stars or similar, to decorate
- For The Glaze:
- 200g dark chocolate, in small pieces
- 30g butter
- 2tbsp cocoa powder
- 4tbsp coffee extract (or very strong coffee)
- 6tbsp syrup
- You Will Need:
- 3 x 20cm sandwich tins, buttered and the bases lined with baking parchment
- You will make 1 basic cake that you’ll then divide up to add the flavourings. Heat the oven to 160C fan, gas 4. Beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Sift in the flour and baking powder in turn with gently whisking in the eggs. Once smooth, take out a third and add the coffee, then add the vanilla to the remaining mix. Spoon into the tins and bake for 20-25 minutes. Turn out onto a wire rack to cool.
- For the glaze, put all the ingredients into a heatproof bowl and set over a pan of gently simmering water. Leave until melted, then whisk together and set aside to cool. Add 1tsp sea salt to the dulce de leche. Put a vanilla cake on the bottom of your cake stand, spread with half the caramel, put the coffee cake in the centre, spread with more caramel and top with a vanilla cake. Once the glaze is cool but not fully set, using a small palette knife, cover the top and sides. Do it little by little, going round a few times to build it up. Allow it to set until tacky, then add the stars as in our picture and scatter over glitter (optional).
woman&home has a brand new attitude and offers irresistible inspiration each and every month to our audience. The brand believes that it’s attitude, not age, that matters and we speak to women in a conversational, empowering, inspirational, fun and friendly tone.