- 185g unsalted butter
- 225g castor sugar
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 250g plain flour
- 50g cocoa powder
- 1tsp baking powder
- 1tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 150ml milk
- For the lime ganache
- 100g dark chocolate, roughly chopped
- 15g unsalted butter, cut into cubes
- 1tbsp cocoa powder
- 50ml lime juice (around 2 limes)
- 3tbsp golden syrup
- For the passion fruit cream
- 400ml whipping cream
- 6 passion fruit, pulp removed with tsp
- 2tbsp icing sugar
- Heat the oven to 180°C, 160°C fan. Cream the butter and sugar until light and creamy, mix in the vanilla, and then gradually beat in the eggs. Mix together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda, sift into the cake mixture, and fold until combined. Gently mix in the milk, then divide between the prepared cake tins, smoothing the tops. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes.
- For the ganache, put all the ingredients in a heatproof bowl over a pan of barely simmering water, allow to melt gently, then stir, remove from the heat, and set aside briefly to cool slightly and firm up.
- For the passion-fruit cream, whip the cream with the passion-fruit pulp and icing sugar until it holds its shape. Using a palette knife, spread half the cream over the top of one sponge, top with another sponge and spread over the remaining cream. Put the last sponge on top and lightly press down to hold in place. Pour the ganache onto the middle of the top sponge, spreading gently to the edges with a palette knife.
A freelance writer and editor, with 15 years’ experience in the media industry. With a passion for health and fitness, Tammy loves nothing more than researching the latest wellness trends. And if she’s not running around after her sweet four-year old daughter, you’ll find Tammy on her bike, in the gym or exploring the great outdoors – followed by a good coffee, of course!