- Biscuit Base
- 250g butter, soft
- 1 cup castor sugar
- 1 egg
- 1tsp vanilla
- 2 cups flour
- ¾ cup cocoa
- 1tsp salt
- 1tsp baking powder
- ½ cup butter, melted
- 1tsp instant coffee
- ¼ cup corn flour
- ½tsp salt
- 2½ cups full cream milk
- 3 egg yolks
- 60g butter
- 1 cup Muscovado sugar
- 3 bananas
- 1 cup full cream
- 1tsp vanilla essence
- 1 cup full cream
- ¼ cup icing sugar
- 50g dark chocolate, grated
- Preheat oven to 180°C, line 2 baking trays with greaseproof paper.
- Beat sugar and butter till fluffy, add egg and vanilla.
- Sift dry ingredients including the coffee, add to the butter mixture and mix to a dough
- Refrigerate for an hour.
- Roll out dough on a lightly floured surface, cut with a circle cookie cutter
- Place on a line baking tray
- Bake for 10-12min
- Cool completely on a wire wrack
- Pulse biscuits in a food processor with melted butter
- Press firmly onto a round pie/tart tin, bake for 5-8min.
- Allow the base to cool on a wire rack before Assembly.
- Whisk corn flour, salt and milk till smooth, add egg yolks, and set aside.
- Melt butter then add sugar, cook on medium-high heat until it emulsifies
- Once smoke starts to appear remove from heat
- Whisk in cream (be careful as mixture will bubble violently)
- Return to low heat and cook till sugar dissolves again.
- Temper the corn/egg mixture and add the rest of the mixture
- Return to the pot and cook for 2 min on medium-high heat until it bubbles
- Remove from heat then add vanilla and pass through a sieve
- Cover with cling wrap and chill for 1hr
- Transfer half the mixture to the base and layer with thinly sliced bananas
- Top with remaining mixture
- Top with whipped cream and grated chocolate.
- Whisk cream and icing sugar.
Intern Digital editor at woman&home magazine. … Experienced digital editor with a demonstrated history of working in the media production industry.