- 300g pitted dates
- 200g dark chocolate
- 200g butter
- 4 large free-range eggs, beaten
- 150g self-raising flour
- For The Frosting:
- 2 ripe avocados, peeled and roughly chopped
- 4tbsp cocoa powder
- 2tbsp maple syrup
You will need a 20cm square tin, oiled.
- Put the dates in a saucepan then add about 150ml water. Gently simmer until they are really soft, then whizz them to a purée. Break up the chocolate and cut the butter into cubes then put into a heatproof bowl set over gently simmering water to melt. Allow to cool.
- Heat the oven to 170C, gas 3. Whisk the date purée into the chocolate mixture, followed by the eggs and the flour. Spoon into the tin. It will look a little curdled but don’t worry, it comes out fine! Bake for 20 minutes. Allow to cool in the tin for 15 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack.
- Make the frosting just before you want to serve. Simply whizz the ingredients together and spread on top of the cake. Serve with raspberries or other fresh fruit.