- 1tbsp oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 500g minced beef
- 1 x 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 x 420g tin kidney beans in chilli sauce
- 1tsp chilli paste or half a large red chilli, finely chopped
- 2tbsp soured cream
- tortilla chips, to serve
- For The Salsa:
- 2 avocados, peeled, stoned and chopped
- juice 1 lemon
- ½ red onion, diced
- 4 ripe tomatoes, halved, deseeded and chopped
- 2tbsp chopped fresh coriander
- Gently heat the oil in a large saucepan then cook the onion until softened, not browned. Now add the beef and stir well until it has lost its red colour. Season well. Add the tomatoes, kidney beans and chilli. Just add a dash of chilli – you can always add more later. Bring to the boil and then turn down to a gentle simmer.
- Meanwhile, prepare the salsa ingredients. The avocado will keep as long as you toss it well in the lemon juice to prevent it discolouring. Let the beef cook for at least 40 minutes – it should be nice and thick with bags of flavour. Check the seasoning and add more chilli if you like.
- To serve, pile the chilli into bowls, and combine all the salsa ingredients into another bowl. Top the chilli con carne with the soured cream and serve with the tortilla chips to dip.