- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 8 chicken thighs or other pieces, with skin and bone
- 2 cooking chorizo sausages, sliced into rounds
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 x 400g tins chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 400g tin tomatoes
- 200ml chicken stock
- large sprig thyme
- small bunch kale, thickly shredded
- Preheat the oven to 200C, gas 6. Heat the oil in a large casserole dish. Add the chicken thighs or pieces and brown them thoroughly on both sides. Make sure the skin is crisp and brown. Remove the chicken from the dish and set it aside, then pour off the excess fat released by the chicken.
- Add the slices of chorizo to the casserole dish and brown them for a couple of minutes on each side. Remove them from the pan and again drain off any excess fat. Add the onion to the casserole and fry gently for 5 minutes, then add the garlic and cook for another minute.
- Add the chickpeas and tomatoes and stir well to combine. Tuck in the sprig of thyme, pour over the chicken stock and season with salt and pepper. Pile the kale on top of the chickpeas, then arrange the chicken and chorizo on top. Season again.
- Put the lid on the casserole dish and place the dish in the oven for 20 minutes. Then remove the lid and cook for a further 15 minutes or until the chicken is completely cooked through.
Taken from Davina’s 5 Weeks To Sugar-Free.