Chicken fried rice with mangetout is a speedy midweek meal that’s packed with Asian flavours. This easy recipe will become a household staple in no time at all! It’s quick to make but so delicious, and uses ingredients you’ll likely have in the cupboard or fridge.
- 200g basmati rice
- 2tbsp sunflower oil
- 2 red onions, finely sliced
- 400g chicken breast fillets, cubed
- 8 spring onions, trimmed and sliced
- 200g mangetout peas
- 2tbsp soy sauce
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 1tbsp honey
- 4tbsp fresh coriander, chopped
- Microwave the rice according to the instructions on the pack and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a wok and cook the onions for a few minutes, until softened, then add the chicken and cook until browned and almost cooked through – around 5 minutes.
- Add the spring onions and mangetout peas and cook over a high heat for a few minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredients, except the coriander. Stir well to combine, check for seasoning then scatter over the coriander to serve.
You can use prawns instead of chicken for a twist on this chicken fried rice, or tofu to make it suitable for vegetarians. We’ve used crunchy mangetout in our recipe, but any green veg, such as sugar snaps, green beans, or broccoli, would work well too.