This chicken and barley broth recipe takes a while to cook, though it’s simple and full of goodness, with no added fat.
ALSO TRY: Pearl Barley And Mushroom Risotto Recipe
- 1 roasting chicken, around 1,25kg
- 4 bay leaves
- 1 onion, halved
- 1 carrot, roughly chopped
- 6 peppercorns
- 150g pearl barley
- 1 head fennel, chopped
- 4 carrots, sliced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 leeks, sliced
- 150g tiny pasta shapes
- 5tbsp chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 4tsp concentrated chicken stock
- Place the chicken in a large saucepan with the remaining stock ingredients. Add enough cold water to cover. Bring to the boil, cover, then simmer very gently for about 2 ½hours.
- Remove chicken onto a plate, and let it cool for half an hour. Strain stock, remove bits and discard. Skim off scum and excess fat.
- Discard the skin from the chicken then pull off the flesh in big chunks. Add to the stock with the barley. Season well. Bring to the boil then simmer for 45 minutes. After 25 minutes, add the vegetables. Ten minutes before serving, add the pasta and the parsley.