Chicken with 40 cloves of garlicPrint This
- 3 or 4 heads of garlic
- 1 medium free-range roasting chicken, around 1.25-1.3kg (2lb 12oz-3lb)
- 150ml (¼pt) olive oil
- 150ml (¼) chicken stock
- a bunch of fresh herbs, whichever you have to hand
- Separate the garlic into cloves so you have around 40. Don’t peel them but remove the thin papery skins. Take any excess fat out of the chicken cavity and discard.
- Heat the oven to 180C, 160C fan, 350F, gas 4. Pop the chicken into an ovenproof dish with a lid – it should fit reasonably snugly. Tuck the garlic cloves under and around the chicken, then add th eoil and stock. Pop in the herbs, cover and roast for 45 minutes.
- Take off the lid and roast for a further 30 minutes, or until the chicken has browned and is cooked through. Let the chicken rest before carving, and remove the garlic with a slotted spoon. Serve with greens and potato cakes.