Cherry Vanilla Parfait with Rosewater SyrupPrint This
- For the cherry purée:
- 150g cherries, pitted
- 75g caster (superfine) sugar
- juice of 1 lemon
- For the parfait:
- 10 whole eggs
- 200g caster sugar
- 100ml water
- 1 vanilla pod, split and scraped
- 650ml thickened (whipping) cream, whipped to soft peaks
- For the syrup:
- 100g caster sugar
- 100ml water
- peel of 1 lemon
- 1 cinnamon sitck
- 1-2 tablespoons rosewater
- 1 tablespoon cherry purée
- 100g cherries, pitted and halved
- 100g unsalted pistachio nuts, shelled and roughly chopped
- You will need a 30 x 9cm terrine mould, loaf tin or plastic Tupperware container, lined with plastic wrap, for the parfait.
- To make the cherry purée, combine all the ingredients in a heavy saucepan. Bring slowly to the boil, stirring gently from time to time to ensure that the sugar dissolves completely. Lower the heat and simmer for about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and purée in a blender, then strain through a sieve to remove the skins. Allow to cool completely. Reserve 1 tablespoon of the purée for the syrup.
- To make the parfait, whisk the eggs in an electric mixer until they are light and fluffy. Put the sugar, water and vanilla pod into a saucepan and bring to the boil. Carefully remove the vanilla pod and then pour the boiling syrup onto the eggs, whisking slowly as you go. Continue whisking until cool, then fold in the cream. Pour the custard into the terrine mould, swirl the cherry purée through and freeze.
- To make the syrup, put all the ingredients and the reserved tablespoon of cherry purée into a saucepan. Bring to the boil and then simmer gently for about 3 minutes. Remove from the heat until ready to use. Remove the lemon peel and cinnamon stick just before serving.
- To serve, turn the parfait out of the mould and slice into thick tiles. Drizzle with the syrup and sprinkle with a few cherry halves and pistachios.