- 50g unsalted butter, softened
- 225g self-raising flour, sieved
- 1tsp baking powder
- 40g caster sugar
- 150g undyed glacé cherries, quartered
- 50g flaked almonds
- 130ml skimmed milk
- Heat the oven to 200 C, gas 6. Using your fingertips, lightly rub the butter into the flour and baking powder with a pinch of salt, until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Stir through the sugar, cherries and almonds, then make a well in the centre and pour in 100ml of the milk. Stir quickly with a knife through the flour until the dough comes together. If it looks dry, add the rest of the milk.
- Tip the mixture on to a floured surface, bring lightly together with your hands, then pat into a disc around 4cm (1½in) thick. Don’t overwork the dough, or your scones will be heavy. Scones should be handled as little as possible to keep them light.
- Using a 5cm floured cutter, cut out rounds and place them on a floured baking sheet, then bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until golden on top and fragrant.
- Serve immediately. They are delicious served with some cherry jam and a dollop of clotted cream.