Chef Tjaart's Pistachio & Cranberry BiscottiPrint This
- 250g plain flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 260 g caster sugar
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 240 g pistachio nuts, shelled, chopped
- 140 g dried cranberries, chopped
- 1 orange, finely zested
- Pre-heat your oven to 140°C.
- Line a baking tray with baking paper .
- Place the flour, baking powder and sugar together in a mixing bowl.
- Stir in the beaten eggs, a little at a time, making sure each addition is incorporated before adding the next.
- Continue until you have a firm dough; it may not be necessary to add all of the egg. NB: The dough shouldn’t be at all sticky.
- Add the pistachio nuts and dried cranberries to the biscotti dough with the orange zest and combine using your hands.
- Turn the biscotti dough out onto a floured surface and knead gently, then divide in half.
- Roll each piece of dough into a long log, about 4cm in diameter.
- Place both logs on your lined baking tray, spacing them at least 5cm apart as the mixture will spread a bit.
- Bake in the oven for 30-35 minutes.
- Leave the logs to cool on the tray for 10 minutes to allow the dough to firm up slightly, then transfer to a board.
- Cut the logs, on the diagonal, into 2-3cm thick slices.
- Place the slices, cut side up, on the baking tray.
- Return to the oven for 20-30 minutes, or until the biscotti are dry through to the centre, turning them over halfway through.
- Transfer to a wire rack and leave to cool completely.