- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup cocoa powder, sifted
- 2 ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 eggs plus 1 egg yolk
- 1 ¼ cups sugar
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 1 ½ cups sour cream
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 250 g chocolate chips
- 50 g chopped almonds
- 50 g almond slithers
- Preheat oven to 190ºC
- Grease a standard 12-cup muffin tin with cooking spray
- In a bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, begin beating the eggs on medium-high speed.
- Slowly add in the sugar while beating and continue to beat until the mixture is pale and thickened and ribbons down from the beater when lifted before settling back down into the batter.
- Wipe down the bowl and beater as needed.
- Beat in the oil until fully incorporated. Wipe down bowl and beater and beat in sour cream and vanilla until evenly incorporated.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet and fold in just until only a few visible streaks remain.
- Add in the chocolate and chopped almonds and fold in just until all ingredients are evenly incorporated.
- Spoon the batter evenly into the prepared muffin cups, smoothing the tops if needed but keeping the scoops mounded.
- Top each with some of the almond slithers
- Bake muffins in a preheated oven for 10 minutes, and then reduce heat to 170ºC and bake another 5-10 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the centre of one comes out free of wet batter (it may come out with melted chocolate).
- Cool muffins in pan for about 15 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
Intern Digital editor at woman&home magazine. … Experienced digital editor with a demonstrated history of working in the media production industry.