Cheese gratinPrint This
- for the tomato sauce:
- 2tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- large pinch chilli flakes
- 1tsp dried oregano
- 2 x 400g cans chopped tomatoes
- ½tsp sugar
- for the filling:
- 200g Taleggio cheese, sliced
- 300g mozzarella, torn into chunks
- 200g soft, unrinded goats' cheese, broken into chunks
- 150g Parmesan, grated
- handful fresh basil
- balsamic vinegar, for drizzling
- 150g fresh lasagne sheets
- 40g breadcrumbs
- you will need:
- 4 individual gratin dishes or 1 large one
- First make the tomato sauce. Heat the oil in a large sauté pan and, when hot, add the onion. Turn the heat down, and cook for 5 to 10 minutes, until the onion is very soft, but not coloured. Add the garlic, chilli and oregano, and cook for another minute. Add the tomatoes and sugar, season and turn up the heat so that the sauce begins to bubble. Cook for 20 minutes, stirring until the sauce has reduced slightly and is a rich red.
- Heat the oven to 200 C, 180 C fan, gas 6. Layer each dish with a thin layer of sauce and top with a chunk of Taleggio, mozzarella, goats’ cheese and a sprinkling of Parmesan. Top with torn basil, a drizzle of balsamic and a layer of lasagne. Repeat the process 2 or 3 times, finishing with sauce, cheese and the breadcrumbs.
- Cook in the oven for 15 to 20 minutes until the top is golden, and the sauce bubbling. Let it stand for 5 minutes, then serve with a green salad. These can be frozen uncooked for up to a month.
This article originated on: www.womanandhome.com