This chargrilled aubergine sandwich with feta makes the perfect lunch if you fancy treating yourself to something a little bit different.
You can braai the aubergines to give this recipe real summer flavour!
- 4 slices sourdough or baguette
- 1 aubergine, thinly sliced lengthways
- Large handful baby spinach
- 200g feta cheese, thinly sliced
- For The Pesto (this will leave leftovers):
- 85g bunch mint
- 50g whole blanched almonds, toasted
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and chopped
- Juice 1 lemon
- 2-3tbsp olive oil, plus extra
- For the pesto, whizz all the ingredients, plus seasoning, in a food processor to form a paste. If you prefer it thinner, add a little more oil or 2tbsp water.
- Heat a ridged griddle pan, and lightly toast the bread. Brush the aubergines with a little oil and season. Griddle on each side - or put on the braai - until soft. Spread some of the pesto on each slice of toast and top with spinach, feta, aubergine and a little more pesto. Drizzle with lemon juice and a little olive oil. Serve immediately.