This alternative regular burgers really hits the spot!
- 8 pork belly strips (about 600 g)
- 2 tbsp dark honey
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 11⁄2 tbsp hoisin sauce
- 1⁄2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tsp oyster sauce
- 1⁄2 tsp Chinese five-spice powder
- 1⁄4 tsp white pepper
- Brioche burger buns, to serve Mayonnaise, to serve
- 1 little gem lettuce, leaves separated
- Coriander, mint and basil (optional)
- For the pickled vegetables:
- 100 g carrot, grated
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 100 g red cabbage, shredded
- 1 tbsp caster sugar
- 1⁄2 tsp salt
- 11⁄2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 Cut the pork in half crossways and put in a bowl.
1 Mix the honey, soy sauce, hoisin, rice vinegar, oyster sauce, Chinese five-spice and white pepper in a bowl. Add to the pork, stir, cover and marinate for 1 hr.
2 Put the carrot, onion and cabbage in a bowl. Add the sugar, salt and vinegar, and stir. Set aside for 1 hr, then drain.
3 Heat or light the barbecue. Remove the pork strips from the marinade. Put the marinade in a saucepan. Cook the pork on a hot barbecue for 3 min each side until cooked through. Transfer to a clean bowl. Heat the marinade over a medium heat and simmer for 2–3 min until thickened. Add to the steaks and stir well.
4 To serve, toast the brioche rolls and spread with a little mayonnaise. Fill with layers of pork strips, pickled vegetables, lettuce leaves and herbs, as you wish.