- 1 medium cauliflower, broken into large florets
- Couple of bay leaves, optional
- 4 rashers British unsmoked back bacon or 12 sunblush tomatoes
- 2tbsp breadcrumbs
- 10g vintage Cheddar, grated
- 10g Parmesan, grated
- For The Sauce:
- 50g butter
- 40g plain flour
- 500ml skimmed milk
- 35g grated mature Cheddar
- 35g grated Parmesan
- 1tsp mustard powder
- good pinch cayenne pepper
- Put the cauliflower on to steam – if you boil it, it becomes really soggy and reminiscent of school dinners. It needs around 6-8 minutes. Tuck in a couple of bay leaves, which will really prevent kitchen smells here, and set aside. Grill the bacon, if using, until nicely crisp, then set aside.
- Now make the sauce. Melt the butter, add the flour and cook through for a couple of minutes. Add the milk gradually, using a whisk to blend. Let it thicken then add the cheese, mustard and cayenne, and season.
- Preheat the grill. Put the cauliflower into heatproof dishes, and pour over the sauce. Scatter over the bacon (just break it up with your fingers) and/or the tomatoes and the breadcrumbs. Add the remaining cheese then placed under the grill until browned, bubbling and heated through.