- 175g carrots, coarsely grated
- Zest and juice 1 large orange
- 100g walnut pieces
- 225ml light olive oil
- 4 large free-range eggs
- 175g self-raising wholewheat flour (or plain wholewheat and 2tsp baking powder)
- 175g self-raising flour
- 175g light muscovado sugar
- 1tsp grated nutmeg
- 1tsp ground cinnamon
- For The Frosting:
- 300g full-fat cream cheese
- 100g icing sugar
- Grated zest of 1 large orange, plus more, shredded, to decorate
You will need a 20cm (8in) round deep cake tin, oiled and bottom lined with baking parchment.
- Heat the oven to 150C, gas 2. Place the cake ingredients into a large mixing bowl and beat until well blended. Place in the cake tin and spread until level. Bake for 1 hour 10 minutes, until firm to the touch and a skewer comes out clean. Cool in the tin for 5 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack and cool completely.
- To make the frosting, beat the cream cheese, icing sugar and orange zest, and spread over the cake. Decorate with the shredded orange zest.