- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 4 lamb shanks, about 350g each
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 4 celery sticks, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 x 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 300ml white wine
- 850ml chicken stock
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 sprigs rosemary
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 x 400g tin chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 tbsp curly parsley, finely chopped
- You Will Need:
- A large casserole with a lid that will hold the lamb shanks in a single layer
- Heat the oven to 170C. Trim any excess fat from the lamb shanks and season well. Heat 2 tbsp olive oil in a large casserole and brown the lamb shanks really well on all sides. Remove the lamb, add the remaining oil to the pan and cook the onion for 5 minutes until soft. Add the garlic and cook for another minute. Add the remaining ingredients except the chickpeas and parsley.
- Bring to the boil, return the lamb, cover the casserole and place in the oven for 2 ¼ hr -3 ½ hrs or until the meat is almost falling off the bone. Remove the casserole from the oven, remove the lamb to a warm serving dish and cover.
- Place the casserole back on the heat and skim off any fat. Add the red wine vinegar and chickpeas and reduce the sauce until slightly thickened, stir in the parsley. Pour the sauce over the lamb and serve.