Braai Freedom Fighter BurgerPrint This
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 red onions, sliced or chopped
- 2 sweet red peppers
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed or chopped
- 1 tsp chilli powder or
- Cayenne pepper
- 2 tbsp paprika
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- ½ cup beef stock
- 1 kg steak mince
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 4 hamburger rolls, buttered
- Sour cream, to serve
- Chopped fresh parsley, to serve
- Heat the oil in a pan or potjie and fry the onions and peppers for about 4 minutes until they start to soften, then throw in the garlic. Add the chilli powder or cayenne pepper and paprika and stir to release their flavours. Add the tomatoes, tomato paste and beef stock, and stir to combine. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat to a simmer, and allow the flavours to develop and the sauce to thicken. Check the pan or potjie every now and then to stir the sauce and make sure it doesn’t cook dry or burn.
- Meanwhile, wet your hands with water and divide the mince into 4 equal-sized patties. Shape them into rounds, flattening them out quite well, as they will shrink a little during the braaiing process. Sprinkle with salt and pepper on both sides just before or during braaiing. Braai them over very hot coals for 8 minutes, turning only once.
- Remove the patties from the braai and rest them for a few minutes. Meanwhile, briefly toast the insides of the buttered rolls on the braai for bonus points. Assemble the burger as follows: roll, patty, sauce, dollop of sour cream, chopped parsley. Serve immediately.