Bored of beans on toast? Try this American classic.
- 1 tbsp oil
- 200g smoked bacon lardons
- 1 onion, finely sliced
- 2 x 400g tinned cannellini beans, drained
- 1 x 400g kidney beans
- 75g brown sugar
- 2 tbsp black treacle
- 1 tbsp English mustard
- ½ tsp paprika
- 400g chopped tomatoes
- 300ml beef stock
- Crusty bread, toasted
- To Serve:
- Parsley (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 180C/Gas 4. Heat the oil in a large pan or casserole dish and cook the bacon lardons and onion for 5 minutes until the bacon is crispy.
- Stir through the beans, sugar, treacle, mustard, paprika and chopped tomatoes. Add 300ml beef stock so that the beans are just covered then cover the pan with a lid.
- Transfer to the oven for 2 hours until the beans are soft and the sauce has thickened. Alternatively simmer on the hob for 2 hours stirring every now and then to ensure it doesn’t dry out. Serve on toast and scattering with parsley.
Top Tip for making Boston Baked Beans: These baked beans will keep in the fridge for a week. You can also freeze any leftovers.
woman&home has a brand new attitude and offers irresistible inspiration each and every month to our audience. The brand believes that it’s attitude, not age, that matters and we speak to women in a conversational, empowering, inspirational, fun and friendly tone.