- For the cake
- 50g dark chocolate (I used 70% cocoa dark chocolate)
- A tiny pinch of salt
- 3 tbsp coconut milk or coconut cream
- 1/2 cup to 1 generous cup jaggery or organic brown sugar (depending on how sweet your sweet tooth is)
- 3 free-range eggs
- 100ml coconut oil (melted)
- 100ml olive oil
- 1 cup baked and mashed sweet potato (roughly 240g when cooked)
- 3 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 tsp bicarb
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 cups gluten-free flour
- For the dairy-free pink icing
- 1 -2 punnet of raspberries (and extra for a darker pink)
- 1 cup coconut cream
- 4 tbsp maple syrup (add more if you want it sweeter)
- For the dairy free ganache
- 200g melted 70% dark chocolate
- 1 tin coconut cream or coconut milk
For the cake
- Combine the dark chocolate, salt and coconut milk in a baine marie, stirring until smooth. Set aside.
- Beat the sugar, eggs, coconut oil and olive oil together until the mixture is thick and light. Mix in the sweet potato, then stir in the chocolate mixture.
- Add the cocoa powder, bicarb, baking powder and flour, beating well after the addition of each dry ingredient. If the cake batter seems very thick, add between 1/2 a cup and 1 cup of water until the consistency loosens.
- Place the batter in the cakes tins and bake for around 40 minutes, or until the cake springs bake when pressed and a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Ice the cake with the buttercream. Melt the dark chocolate with a few spoons of coconut milk. Allow to cool, then pour over the cake.
For the dairy-free pink icing
- Blend all ingredients together, slowly adding more raspberries, depending on how pink you want the icing.
- Put in the fridge to thicken for an hour or so before icing the cake with it.
- Ice the entire cake
For the dairy-free ganache
- Melt the chocolate and coconut together; allow to cool. Pour the cooled, runny ganache over the top of the cake so it drips down the sides.
- Decorate with silver balls, sprinkles or whatever takes your fancy.
woman&home has a brand new attitude and offers irresistible inspiration each and every month to our audience. The brand believes that it’s attitude, not age, that matters and we speak to women in a conversational, empowering, inspirational, fun and friendly tone.