- 250g plain flour
- 175g cold butter, cubed
- 75g sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 vanilla bean, scraped
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 8 inch tart case or pie dish
- 350g mixed frozen berries
- 300g fresh berries (blueberries and strawberries work best)
- 125g castor sugar
- 1 Twinings Berry Blush Infusion tea bag
- 50ml water
- 1 lemon juice
- 30g corn flour
- 1 egg yolk
- Demerara sugar
- Using a stand mixer beat the butter, vanilla bean seeds, and sugar together until it forms a paste. Gradually add the egg yolks beating after each addition.
- Add the flour and salt and bring the dough together. Flatten and wrap in cling film before chilling for 30mins.
- Roll out the pastry to the thickness of a 1 Rand coin. Line an 8 inch fluted tart tin or a pie dish. Press into the pan and trim off the excess leaving a 1 inch extra around the rim. Tuck the excess behind the pastry.
- To crimp the edge, place your finger and thumb 1cm apart. Push the pastry in between the space. Repeat all around the pastry or crimp with a fork. Prick the base and leave to firm in the fridge.
- Roll out the excess pastry and cut out 24 small hearts. Place on a plate and leave to chill in the fridge.
- In a saucepan, add 1/2 of the frozen berries, sugar, tea bag, water and lemon juice and bring to the boil over medium heat. Continue to cook for 3-4 minutes till the mixture becomes syrupy.
- Place the corn flour in a small bowl and add some of the syrup mixture to the corn flour and stir to combine. Add this mixture to the sauce pan and stir to combine.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C Cook for a minute and then remove off the heat.
- Remove the mixture from the saucepan into a bowl and add the frozen fruits then the fresh fruits.
- Pour this mixture into the chilled pastry case and top with the pastry hearts.
- Brush the pastry with the egg yolk mixed with a tsp of water and sprinkle with Demerara sugar.
- Bake in the oven for 25mins.
- Allow to cool before serving with yoghurt or a scoop of ice-cream